JSC YUZHMORGEOLOGIYA is administered by the Federal Agency of Mineral Resources of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.
JSC YUZHMORGEOLOGIYA carries out activities in the field of geological maintenance of federal tasks related to the exploration and development of mineral resources in continental shelf, internal seas and international regions of the ocean.
JSC YUZHMORGEOLOGIYA — is one of Russia's leading research institutions with more than 55 years of practical experience; it participates in federal and international programs and agreements; offers its services at the marine geophysical industry market.
- JSC YUZHMORGEOLOGIYA is based on the Black Sea coast in the city of Gelendzhik in 40 kilometers from the port of Novorossiysk.
- Includes 14 scientific and production departments, a number of industrial structures.
- It has three specialized vessels, more than 15 specialized low-tonnage watercrafts, and 110 units of modern marine equipment.
- JSC YUZHMORGEOLOGIYA has a certificate of ISM Code and 15 operating certificates.
- Industrial property of SSC FSUGE “Yuzhmorgeologiya”: 12 copyright certificates and patents.
Stages of formation:
- The Research Geophysical Expedition (NIIMGE) of VNIIgeofizika research institute previously based in the Caspian was settled in Gelendzhik in 1949-1960.
- In 1961 the first conference on marine geophysics was held there.
- Since 1973 YMG gets the status of Production Association (PO),
- Since 1978 – Research and Production Association (NPO)
- The 1980’s is the period of large-scale developing and equipping of the scientific research fleet.
- In 1988 NPO “Yuzhmorgeologiya” prepared an application for a block in the International area of the World Ocean floor and obtained the status of the pioneer investor in the polymetallic nodules deposit with the issuance of state licenses and the United Nations registration certificate along with allocation of the seabed area in the Clarion-Clipperton Zone
- In 1998 “Yuzhmorgeologiya” obtains the status of the State Scientific Center
- In 1999 the 50th anniversary of the Russian marine geophysics was celebrated in YMG at the federal level
- 1999-2005 – performance of complex geological and geophysical studies of the Magellanic seamounts of the Pacific Ocean in order to detect deposits of cobalt-rich ferromanganese crusts and prepare an application for it to be submitted to the United Nations.